So.... I made it to Brussels after 7 hours and days of anxiety. I’ve only been here for two days but already I can tell that I will love living in this city. We went on a tour today, and although the tour guide was ridiculous, I still enjoyed it because he highlighted the multiculturalism within Brussels. It could have been the worst tour in the world and I would have enjoyed it because of my fresh eyes. In many ways studying abroad is like being a newborn, or rather I think I will be acting like one my first few weeks here. However, it became apparent that Brussels is a city illuminated by an incomprehensible amount of cultures and people. Its exhilarating and overwhelming at the same time.
These first two days have been overwhelming, which makes me even more grateful to have other students from Hendrix here so we can all help each other. I thought I had mentally prepared myself for this trip, but then again you can only prepare so much. I know this has been said again and again and again but even the simple things are different, in this case food shopping.
In lieu of an actual meal plan we get a monthly stipend. We went food shopping last night and I felt very, very overwhelmed. It wasn't the shopping itself; I've done that many times last semester at Hendrix. It was realizing that we have no utensils, pots, or pans to cook, limiting what we buy for the time being. I allowed myself to freak out for a few minutes, because, after all it was my first full day in a brand new country for five months, but then pushed them out of my mind because, you know what? Worrying doesn't help. Not one bit. It won't resolve any of these problems or even make me feel better for a little bit, so why waste all of my emotions on these feeling instead of concentrating on my beautiful new home?
Obviously I will still feel overwhelmed and have moments of anxiety but I feel this might help me through the next couple of months in Brussels. I just need to remember that I have the entire world, or at least Europe, right there waiting for me. All I have to do is take that first step foward and embrace my time here.
These first two days have been overwhelming, which makes me even more grateful to have other students from Hendrix here so we can all help each other. I thought I had mentally prepared myself for this trip, but then again you can only prepare so much. I know this has been said again and again and again but even the simple things are different, in this case food shopping.
In lieu of an actual meal plan we get a monthly stipend. We went food shopping last night and I felt very, very overwhelmed. It wasn't the shopping itself; I've done that many times last semester at Hendrix. It was realizing that we have no utensils, pots, or pans to cook, limiting what we buy for the time being. I allowed myself to freak out for a few minutes, because, after all it was my first full day in a brand new country for five months, but then pushed them out of my mind because, you know what? Worrying doesn't help. Not one bit. It won't resolve any of these problems or even make me feel better for a little bit, so why waste all of my emotions on these feeling instead of concentrating on my beautiful new home?
Obviously I will still feel overwhelmed and have moments of anxiety but I feel this might help me through the next couple of months in Brussels. I just need to remember that I have the entire world, or at least Europe, right there waiting for me. All I have to do is take that first step foward and embrace my time here.
I love you so, so much, Jorgie! You're going to have so many amazing adventures that will change your life. I love you.
ReplyDelete