Hello, hello again blogworld!
Well, much has happened since my last blog, namely spring break, which ended a little over a week ago. I went to a total of four cities; Berlin, Prague, Vienna and Budapest and enjoyed every minute. The funny thing is they were all so different, yet I feel like I had a full experience in each and every one. So here goes Spring Brea recap (although its mostly my favorite pictures) part I:
BERLIN
Berlin was by far, my favorite city. I think I enjoyed it so much because it was the first city in Europe where I truly felt like I could live in. Don't get me wrong, I love Europe and appreciate the beauty and the history, but for some reason I felt so in tune with the city. I've never really felt that way about any where else except New York. Place, and all the memories are derived from the familiarity is something that has always been especially important to me. I think Berlin is a place where I could create a vibrant life. You know, besides the whole speaking German thing.
Our spring break group waxed and wained but for the most part it consisted of Rachel, my friend here in Brussels, Paige, one of my best friends and roommate who is currently studying in Scotland, my great friend Kate I know from high school who is studying in London and a bunch of her London friends. It was so nice having a large group to travel with. Don't get me wrong I love my Hendrix-in-Brussels friends but I think its getting to the point where we are all sick of each other and seeing new faces now and again was a nice change of pace.
Paige and I in front of Museum Island
The Holocaust memorial in Berlin was truly one of the most moving memorial's I have ever seen. The site covered with 2,711 concrete slabs one for each page of the Talmud and is arranged in a grid pattern on a sloping field. Walking through is confusing, disorienting and cold. Directly under the memorial is an exhibit. We almost didn't go but I am very glad we did, it turned out to be emotional for myself and I think I spent almost two hours down there. It's not that it takes that long to read, hear and experience the stories, its just I almost felt guilty not reading, listening or watching every single photo, testimony, audio and video. It was difficult to tear myself away


No comments:
Post a Comment